Suzi's Stamps & Stuff

Stamp collecting and philatelic fun!

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Kiloware arrived




Yesterday my Great Britain kiloware arrived and I am quite pleased with it. It is 2 kilos total. I ordered 1 kilo of GB closely trimmed, unpicked mixture, and 1 kilo of GB trimmed close, (in order to see the difference between the 2 mixes). It was ordered from a charity in GB.
It is mainly very recent, and in excellend condition. It appears as if damaged material was removed where it was noticed, as this mix has less than a normal percentage of damaged that I see in kiloware from charities or office mixes.
Here are scans of a representative sample from the 2 mixes:


This is the trimmed mix. It is very nicely close trimmed, and definitely yields more stamps per kilo. But there was less variety in this one than the untrimmed/unpicked mixture.











The untrimmed mixture below showed more variety, more different commemoratives, and a nice smattering of Channel Islands and foreign countries. I found stamps from places as diverse as New Zealand, Gambia, South Africa, and Germany. Overall I am quite pleased with the entire parcel, and am going to see about ordering other items from this charity as well as more of this mixture down the road when the variety changes. They have worldwide stamps mixtures available also.




The most common stamp found in either bag of stamps was the first class gold Machin. There were also plenty of other nice Machins.






Anyone interested in trading for any of this material, let me know! I will be working on soaking over the next few days, but I can send stuff still on paper also. Do you have some interesting stamps on paper that you want to trade? You can trade some of your on paper mix for mine if you have any on paper stamps that either my kids or I collect. Just email me and ask- we're very flexible. I also have an older Machin/GB mixture, and can send some of either or both if you would like.


Suzi

suziboyer@gmail.com

3 Comments:

  • At 4:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    You got your work cut out for you with those two mixtures. Have you ever ordered the "haystack" from the stamp farm in Wisconsin?

     
  • At 3:06 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hey suzi, I found a stamp farm ad in one of my piles from moving into this new house. I posted it on my blog on wednesday am, I think it's Wednesday...hehe

    JimmyB

     
  • At 2:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Suzi
    If you wish to reorder from the same supplier I suggest you wait for a while, say 3 months, to allow for the dealer to receive new material, as in my experience immediate repeat orders produce more of the same. In the days when i bought quantities of kiloware and offpaper bulk lots ( before the amount of material outstripped my ability to deal with it ! ) I used to rotate about 4 or 5 favourite sources at about monthly intervals - usually alternating "true" charity kiloware with dealers on/off paper world mixtures.
    My latest buy was in a junk shop where a local dealer ( to the area I was visiting on holiday )was selling various packets of on and off paper stamps with the junk shop taking a commission. I could actually have a good look at the contents before buying, and I got a really good deal,including some quite high catalogue 1930s Iraq.
    I must have been lucky, but I can honestly say that I have never bought and been disappointed.
    My buying and trading is on the back burner at the moment as I have approximately 2000 stamps to mount, and about 10000 to sort - and its Gardening weather!
    Malcolm

     

Post a Comment

<< Home