Suzi's Stamps & Stuff

Stamp collecting and philatelic fun!

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Example of a variety I found


Using my Stanley Gibbons Great Britain Specialized Catalog, I identified this stamp as Head A, catalog number U14, the 4d bright vermilion.

The variety shown here is, I believe, a minor constant sheet flaw showing a retouch in the neck. If I have identified it correctly, that means this stamp is from Cylinder 10, Row 15, and is stamp #5 in that row. This is an example of the type of detail you can get utilizing the Gibbons Specialized catalog.

You probably can't tell very well, but the first image shows that the retouch is at Thirkell position E3-4, abbreviated as Th.E3-4 in the catalog. This image also shows how I use the position finder.

When I am in the mood to look for varieties, or do a bit of flyspecking, I always have plenty of Machins and Wildings to keep me occupied. But sometimes, I also just like to do general collecting stuff. But more about that later.

Happy stamping!

Suzi
suziboyer@gmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home