Suzi's Stamps & Stuff

Stamp collecting and philatelic fun!

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Interesting cancellations

Today I have more pictorial postmarks to show you.
A friend in Malaysia sent me some pix of interesting cancellations in response to my earlier discussion. Here are two which I found quite striking:




In looking through my huge boxes of Machins on paper, I found many interesting advertising slogans. The first ones that caught my eye intrigued me because USA entities are doing the advertising:


Diamond Walnuts, in California; and the state of Washington advertising their apples. It had never occurred to me that US companies might be placing advertisements on slogan cancellations in other countries. How interesting!




I searched further and realized that there are many interesting pictorial cancels in this mix, and many are advertising slogans. These are not quite as nicely struck as the little castle (Tower of London?) I found earlier but nice cancels nonetheless.
I think I will research this further and form a collection of these, with a special section for the US companies.

If anyone knows a good source of information in the area of modern British slogan cancels, please let me know. I will share your information if you like. I tried to do a quick Google on the topic without much luck. I haven't had a chance yet to devote a lot of time to searching so if anyone can help let me know.

Thanks.

Suzi
suziboyer@gmail.com

4 Comments:

  • At 2:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The British Philatelic Bureau issues the ´British Postmark Bulletin.´ I don´t know whether this suits your interests but you might look whether they would send you a free sample issue.

     
  • At 8:05 AM, Blogger suzi said…

    Thanks, I didn't realize that such a thing existed. I will look into it via their website.

    Suzi

     
  • At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    They also publish a monthly "British Philatelic Bulletin" in the recent (March) issue of which they mentioned your blog for reasons of your interest in GB (Machins) stamp.

     
  • At 12:38 PM, Blogger suzi said…

    Thanks for the information, Malcom. These postmarks are new to me, but I am finding them quite interesting.

    I appreciate everyone who shares their knowledge here.

    Suzi

     

Post a Comment

<< Home