Suzi's Stamps & Stuff

Stamp collecting and philatelic fun!

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Trading

Today I received a comment from http://www.blogger.com/profile/9416399 in Malaysia, who has linked to this blog. I took a look at http://www.blogger.com/profile/9416399 blog, and she has created what is basically a simple trading page.

Using a blog in this manner is innovative. She is scanning items available for trade and inviting other collectors to email offers of what they have available in exchange. A neat and tidy way to post your trade items, and the blog format allows regular updates and the ability to post the details of successful trades if desired.

I have been wondering how everyone else keeps track of their trades. I am looking for a better system. My problem is knowing what I have already sent to someone. I just do not have the time to deal in want lists on a regular basis. Lately, I have been laying out the stamps out on a stock sheet and scanning the sheet as a record of what I have sent, so that if I trade with that partner again, I can take a look at the scans. I have been printing out the pages and putting the whole thing in a manila folder with the trader's name, address, collecting interests, wants, etc.

Recently, I began trading with a collector who exchanges only with others who can send scans of stamps. From those scans he selects only the ones he wants- sort of an approval via email. He then sends scans back to me, and I select the stamps I want. We are trading on a one to one basis, and it is a simple matter to just open Photoshop and circle or mark which ones I am interested in. I like this method of trading. Although it is more time consuming, it ensures that each person gets what they want in a trade. Also, the email correspondence is very enjoyable.

Tell us what YOU do for trading. How do you track your trades? Keep records of trading partners? Let's discuss this topic and share ideas.


Suzi
suziboyer@gmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home