Suzi's Stamps & Stuff

Stamp collecting and philatelic fun!

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Saturday at the Show

The train pulled in right under the Convention Center, and up the escalator we went, where we were greeted by friendly, helpful staff who pointed the way to the building where we picked up our badges. I arrived around 10:45 am.

This is the view we saw of the exhibition floor:


The show floor was well organized and the turnout was impressive. I don't think I've ever been to a show quite this crowded and with such lines of people actually buying large quantities from dealers. I hope that trend continues throughout the show and the dealers find it a profitable venture.

The Kids Zone was wonderful and I'm happy to report that there were a good number of kids enjoying it. It included plenty of free stamps and even a visit from Postman Pat. There were Boy Scouts working on their Stamp Merit badges, and kids just enjoying the many activities.

The society area waw well set up, although not all societies were present on that first day. Dreya joined the Japanese Philatelic Society and I renewed my membership in the Great Britain Collectors Club.

Once we took in the scene, Dreya & I got our walkie-talkies out and split up. Peter & Wynne stayed with me for a while, and we all wandered a bit to see what was there. Wynne was interested in the printing press demonstrations. After a while both Wynne & Peter got bored of stamps and set off into the city to see the Natural History Museum, leaving Dreya & I to more serious stamp shopping.

The exhibits were quite impressive and comprehensive. I didn't see them all as I spent quite a bit of time standing in line at dealer's booths hoping to get a chance to look at their stamps.
I wasn't able to find a great many stamps that were on my want lists, but it was fun nonetheless.
I did get a lot of supplies that I needed. I will show and discuss my purchases on the next post.

Trains in the youth area:


Printing Press demonstration:



suziboyer@gmail.com

2 Comments:

  • At 3:15 AM, Blogger angela's said…

    Hi!
    It was really fun going through your blog and great to see lots of fellow collectors helping/assisting each other. We are from the Philippines and are also long time collectors (stamps, coins paper money etc.) We also have our blog to post some of our collections and have another one to try to sell stuff; but have decided early on to be open for stamp trades and swaps. Is it possible for you to link our blog to yours (angelas-store.blogspot.com and angelas-collections.blogspot.com). We would really appreciate it if you can check it out and have us linked, Thank you again and Best Regards!

     
  • At 2:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Looks like an awesome show. I wish I could have had the time to go myself. Is there any chance you picked up extra sheets of the stamps issued commemorating the show? I'm fishing around looking for them. What more did you experience at the show? No doubt we'd all like to hear all about the trip.
    JimmyB

     

Post a Comment

<< Home