Suzi's Stamps & Stuff

Stamp collecting and philatelic fun!

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Show- fun, shopping and purchases


Once we split up we could keep in touch with our walkie-talkies, and we used them to report on what the various dealers offered for purchase.
I went in search of various supplies first off, looking for UV lamps, a watermark tray without those little annoying ridges on the bottom, and some literature. The first dealer I found was a smaller shop selling Prinz brand supplies, listed just as Prinz Verlag on their sign. The gentleman who helped me was a Mr. Edelman. I have always liked the Prinz brand, and I purchased my watermark tray, UV lamps, and some extra watermark fluid from him. The shortwave lamp he had right in stock, and the longwave I am supposed to be receiving in the mail any day now. The price was great and the gentleman was very helpful.
Next I went to Subway Stamp Shop. They were MUCH, MUCH larger than the smaller dealer I had visited, and had huge lines and were very busy all day Saturday. From them I purchased a copy of the Gibbons Commonwealth simplified catalog to identify newer Commonwealth stamps from kiloware, and a copy of "The Commonwealth King George VI Catalogue" byMurray Payne Ltd. It's a pretty nice little book, and although not as detailed as some of my country specialized catalogues, it is detailed in some respects. It had good information regarding telling shades apart utilizing UV lamps, and I like the way the author has used flowcharts to assist in the identification of some of the more complicated issues. I am quite happy with it.
In addition, Dreya joined the Japanese Philatelic Society, and I renewed my membership with the Great Britain Collectors Club.
I need to go get ready for bed and work, but on my next post (hopefully tomorrow) I will discuss our stamp purchases AND the burning question of Whatever happened to the Junior Philatelists of America (JPA)?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home