Suzi's Stamps & Stuff

Stamp collecting and philatelic fun!

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Sending stamps to Indonesia

Today I am making up a stamp trade to send to Indonesia. A fellow collector contacted me via Facebook with a trading request. It has taken me way too long to get her stamps together but this is the first free weekend I've had in a while.
I had never thought to use Facebook as a vehicle for meeting other collectors or trading stamps, but I am there if anyone wishes to contact me. My full name is Susan Boyer.
Does anyone else use Facebook or similar websites to meet new trading partners and other collectors? I'd love to hear about it if you do. I am interested to hear how everyone else connects with other collectors.
The stamps I am sending to Indonesia are used Great Britain and Australia from my trading stock. These are mostly stamps that I have soaked from various kiloware purchases over the years, so I have many duplicates of some of them.
As I was putting together this trade packet, I thought I'd share with you how I organize my stock and invite the rest of you to share your own methods. My system is not very original. It is neat and organized and works for me.
I have soaked a lot of kiloware over the years, so I have a great deal of duplication in some stamps from countries for which I purchase a lot of kiloware. When I soak, I sort everything first by country then complete sorting based on what I need at the moment or which stamps I have the most of. Each country that I collect extensively (GB, Australia & States, New Zealand, Canada, Malaysia, and USA for right now, because I have a lot of these countries) has a plastic shoebox of stamps from that country. Once items are soaked and dried, I put them in larger glassines and put them in those boxes. Countries that I don't have such huge quantities of simply go in large glassines labelled with country name and all go in one box, with those glassines in ABC order.
Once I want to sort a certain country, I get the box or glassine for that country and sort by era and denomination, usually choosing a certain period to focus on unless I don't have very many for that country. I sort by sets and then finally by catalog number, setting aside sets requiring additional research such as watermarking or perfing for last. I file all my sets by catalog numbers in #4 glassines in long 3x5 card file boxes, similar to some dealer boxes but 3x5 sized. I put all stamps for a set that I have in those glassines, so some have many duplicates and some sets might have more than one glassine.
I use these boxes for both sorting through for stamps to fill album spaces and for trading purposes. Most of my countries I kind of know how far I am in mounting stamps, so I know which sets are available for trading.
On my stamp wish list right now is stamps from India, India states, and more recent New Zealand. But I like all stamps! Which is why I have so many...sigh.. and why my library is full of stamps and not more books.
I think I will clean my library a bit now.

Bye!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 4:38 AM, Blogger Imam Riyadi said…

    Have you had a stamps from Indonesia?
    I'll try to feedback that stamps for you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home