Suzi's Stamps & Stuff

Stamp collecting and philatelic fun!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Stamp Purchases and the JPA






These are most of the stamps that I purchased at the show. Sorry for being so late getting to these, I've been very busy studying and working.

I did not have much luck finding inexpensive covers, as they were not many and the only $1 cover booth that was there was so crowded I couldn't even get near it. But I patiently stood in line at some dealers' booths and looked through their Australia and New Zealand to try to find some recent used commemoratives, with some luck. I picked up a stock sheet of some used South Africa. I also bought some items for stamp friends and trading partners.
Dreya purchased quite few Japan stamps, buying some mint sheets of anime stamps and some recent used Japan. Overall, I didn't see many of the items I was hoping to find for trading partners or for our own collections, as many dealers had more large ticket items rather than some of the more common material. Those who did have more common, lower priced items, were the ones with by far the longest lines at their booths.

I am very happy with the purchases I made there, however. I received my long wave UV lamp in the mail yesterday, so now I have a set. I haven't had a chance to try them out yet, but plan to do so soon. I have plenty of stamps to check tagging on!!

Now to tell you about Dreya and the Junior Philatelists of America (JPA). Dreya has been a member of this youth group for some years. Actually, it has been around so long that I was a member as a teenager. Last year, they stopped publishing a newsletter at one point, saying they no longer had the funding to support the project. When we arrived at the show, the first thing Dreya did was to go in search of the JPA, with no luck whatsoever. When she came back to me all distressed because she couldn't find them, I suggested that she ask at the APS booth or in the youth area. In one of those areas, she finally found some answers. Apparently, the club had finally folded due to lack of money and leadership. Therefore, the APS has started a new youth group, known as the Young Stamp Collectors of America. Dreya was give 2 years membership for her persistence in searching them out, and she said the lady who helped her was very nice. I did not get that lady's name, but I want to thank her for her efforts in keeping this youth group alive.

Please support young stamp collectors. :o)

Suzi
suziboyer@gmail.com

1 Comments:

  • At 3:46 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hey Suzie,

    I think I may know who was running the dollar cover stand at the Washington show. A Japanese woman that lives in Missouri and who's husband had another table told me that they were doing the Washington show. It must be fun being able to travel around to different shows.

    JimmyB

     

Post a Comment

<< Home